Saturday, November 30, 2013

A Million Little Ways - a review


Do you desperately fear you have nothing to offer the world but secretly hope you're wrong?

You were born to make art. You were made to live art. You might not see yourself as an artist, but you are--in so many unexpected ways. In what you create, whether poetry or pie, sculpture or sand castle, calligraphy or conversation. It's time to uncover the shape of your soul, turn down the voice of the inner critic, and move into the world with the courage to be who you most deeply are.

Creating a life of meaning is not about finding that one great thing you were made to do, it's about knowing the one great God you were made to glorify--in a million little ways.


In this book, Emily Freeman says many things I've been thinking through but have never yet found in one single book.  She leads her readers on a journey into discovering themselves as God's artwork who also make art.  This book is one of the best I  have come across for explaining the worldview of the Christian artist. 

Much of A Million Little Ways is directed to the non-creative people who don't see themselves as artists.  This was a little boring for me, but the parts I needed to hear far outweighed the parts that didn't apply to me.  Emily's writing comes across as 'artistically modern' (tense changes, lots of adjectives, strangely written sentences, etc) which some readers will love and some might be confused by.  I confess I didn't enjoy the writing style as much as I thought I would, which is the only reason why I'm not giving this book a 10.

A Million Little Ways is highly recommended both for creative Christians and those who would like to be more creative.

My rating: 9 out of 10

Disclaimer: Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.
Available at your favourite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

1 comment:

Miss Melody Muffin said...

Hi Maria!!!!!

How are things going for you? I hope well.

I tagged you: http://thesplendorfalls.blogspot.com/2014/01/tags-part-two-elevens.html