Saturday, July 27, 2013

Review: Small Town Girl

How long can two people stand on the brink of love without plunging in headfirst?
In the autumn of 1941, rumors of war whisper through Rosey Corner. The town practically vibrates with apprehension, as if it is holding its breath. But for Kate Merritt, it seems life is letting out a prolonged sigh. As Kate watches her sister marry the man Kate has loved since she was fifteen, her heart is silently breaking. And even the attentions of Jay Tanner, the handsome best man, can't draw her interest.

Then suddenly, Pearl Harbor changes everything and Kate finds herself drawn to Jay in surprising ways. Could she truly be in love with him? And if he enlists, will she ever see him again?

 Ann Gabhart's Small Town Girl had no trouble finding its way onto my favorites list. Written with heart and incredible artistry, the sweet small-town moments of this lovely book are soothing and wonderful. The characters, too, with their stubbornesses, their struggles and their loyalties, stand head and shoulders above the average romance story people. Kate's adopted sister Lorena, a darling but spunky little girl, captured my heart at once and fans of Gabhart's Angel Sister will love seeing her again in this book. I've never read anything else my Mrs. Gabhart, but after Small Town Girl, I am very eager to!

My rating: 9 out of 10

P.S. Looking over my review, it does sound a little like an advertisement. Oh well, I really did enjoy the it (and it's set in World War II, which is always a plus in my book :D)  But I'm on holidays and don't have much access to internet, so I've got to make it quick.  Greetings from Manitoba's beautiful prairies (and soon, their gorgeous cottage country where I'll be spending the next week) and I'll get you properly updated when I come back!

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.
Available at your favourite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

 

No comments: