Monday, June 17, 2013

Stealing the Preacher - a review

On his way to interview for a position at a church in the Piney Woods of Texas, Crockett Archer can't believe it when he's forced off the train by an outlaw and presented to the man's daughter as the preacher she requested for her birthday. He's determined to escape--which would be much easier if he could stop thinking about Joanna Robbins and her unexpected request.

For months, Joanna had prayed for a minister. A man to breathe life back into the abandoned church at the heart of her community. A man to assist her in fulfilling a promise to her dying mother. But just when it seems her prayers have been answered, it turns out the parson is there against his will and has dreams of his own calling him elsewhere. Is there any way she can convince Crockett he ended up right where he was supposed to be?

My Review: Okay, I know the cover looks cheesy, but from the unlikely premise Karen Witemeyer has crafted an enjoyable story of faith and hope.

Joanna is a capable and compassionate girl who wants nothing more than a preacher to help her share her faith with her ex-outlaw father.  Crocket is a faith-filled cowboy turned preacher who isn't afraid of hard work.  The two are first attracted by each other's faith and then by something more...  But first from Crockett's desire to go and later from Joanna's own insecurities, her stubborn father and a flirtacious girl more than a little interested in Crockett, many things are happening to keep them apart.

Can I tell you how much I enjoyed how Crockett and Joanna are first attracted to each other!  Frankly, I'm tired of romance books where the characters are only interested in each other because they're drop-dead gorgeous. What kind of shallow base for a marriage is that?  But a story where they first become close because of their shared faith, and later because of a strong friendship (and don't worry, there still is some of the physical attraction stuff in Stealing the Preacher if you like that kind of thing; it just isn't my personal favorite) makes me very, very, happy.

This is the first of Karen Witemeyer's books I've read, and it made me very eager to read the prequel, Short-Straw Bride, and whatever sequels Mrs. Witemeyer may write. This book has definitely made me a fan of hers!

My Rating: 9 out of 10

P.S. If you want to see a sweet little book trailer, here it is!

Disclaimer: Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.
Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group

4 comments:

Hayden said...

ooooh, you should definitely read Short-Straw Bride. Though it's "mushier" than I normally like, it's also laugh-out-loud funny. :)

I can't wait to get my hands on this one. It should arrive at my house any day now :)

Grace said...

It would be nice if there were more books where characters are attracted to each other by who the other person is, not just their looks. Out of Christian fiction the closest I have come to reading something like that is "Surrender the Heart" by Marylu Tyndall.

This one is to my "to read" list, but I would like to finish "Short-Straw Bride" first.

Grace

Rissi said...

Glad you enjoyed this one, Maria. It was sweet but not my favorite. Ironic since I actually think the cover is the bestest part. ;)

Katie Wegner said...

My sister read most of short straw bride. And she said it was so funny! But towards the end the physical attraction got to be to much, sensually. I guess it might depend on what your used to reading.