Monday, December 10, 2012

The Tolkien Tag

Being naturally very excited for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, I was delighted to be surprised by the announcement that Nessima is hosting an unexpected, Tolkien-themed, blog party.  Yay!  Something Middle Earth-ish to do while I'm waiting for the day that I'll be able to see The Hobbit!

An Unexpected Blog Party

1. How did you first hear about LOTR & The Hobbit? I can't exactly say when.  My earliest memories of it is a very fat dark blue book with gold letters and something about rings.  I thought the rings were sort of like the rings around Saturn. :P

2. How many times have you read LOTR/The Hobbit? Or have you yet to read it at all? Both twice.

3. Would you name your child after a character from it?  I'm a name nut, so I have considered it.  But, say I named a boy Aragorn Legolas (WHAT a combination!  Don't worry, I wouldn't.)  He'd get teased like crazy.  He'd want people to call him by an 'ordinary name' (I had an unusual nickname when I was young and I didn't like it one bit.)  He wouldn't actually be introduced to LOTR until after years of us calling him Aragorn Legolas and it might prejudice him against it.  So, no.  I'd give my kids not too weird names that could be adapted to suit them.  Still, I'd consider Aragorn as a second name.

Okay, away with this nonsense about Aragorn Legolas.  Truth is, I've been very close to having Eowyn on my list of must-use-as-first-names.  But for the same reasons as above, I probably won't.  But I love so many of the other names: Galadriel, Thorin, Arwen, Faramir, Eomer...

Second name material, peoples.

4. What are your thoughts on Tom Bombadil? Do you think he should have been in the movie?  The movie was, after all, only a movie.  It couldn't get everything, and while Tom Bombadil is an important figure if you really want to understand LOTR, it doesn't contribute much to the plot.  The real fans will read the book anyways and the movie, I think, is better without it.

5. Do you have a favourite piece of poetry from any of Tolkien's books?  I have a feeling some of the poems in LOTR would have been my favorites, but the last two times I read it I was more interested in getting on in the story than reading the poems.  I know, shocking, especially for one who professes to love poetry.

6. Have you read any of Tolkien's work besides LOTR and/or The Hobbit? A couple of the Unfinished Tales and right now I'm starting The Silmarillion.  Even better then I hoped, it is, precious.  Oh, and long before I cared about Tolkien I read Mr. Bliss.


7. Can you write in the Tengwar?  Unfortunately not.  However, I have found several different (free!) Tengwar fonts to put onto my laptop. 
Let's all look at the beautiful inscription on the One Ring for a while...

8. Were you at all disappointed that Prince Imrahil wasn't in the movie?  I would have loved to see more footage in The Return of the King and that would have probably included him, but I don't care for him other than as a minor figure who has a little to do with Eowyn, Faramir, Aragorn, and nice Gondor-ish things 

9. What would happen if you and Denethor were put face to face? Frightened smile, curtsy.  That is, if we met in an ordinary situation. If there was Something happening, or we got into a conversation, I would thoroughly berate him about his unfair treatment of Faramir and give him quite a tongue-lashing on how he's not even fit to be Aragorn's stablehand.

via
10. Would you rather reside in Edoras or Minas Tirith?  Minas Tirith is tempting, but no.  If you're going to give me one of them, give me Edoras.  All that beautiful, Old English sort of culture.  And Eomer.  Queen of Rohan sounds quite nice, don't you think?

11. What think you of Éomer's armour?
'Tis a little strange at first, but very Rohan-ish when you get used to it.  I likes it.


12. What do you think of Boromir? Poor guy.  He was more susceptible to the power of the Ring, and his dad had told him to get it, and he had had firsthand experience fighting against Mordor.  He knew it wouldn't be as easy as Frodo imagined.  "One does not simply walk into Mordor!"

What it really says in Google Maps!  Amusing, isn't it?
The bits of his relationship with Faramir in the extended edition is sweet, although I could be ready to knock him in the head when he first meets Aragorn.  But then you see bits of him playing with the hobbits and getting into an almost sort of friendship with Aragorn.  And then he dies.  That was a sad, sad, scene.  And his last words in the movie...  I like those kind of sad scenes.

13. Which is your favourite LOTR couple: Sam & Rosie, Aragorn & Arwen, or Faramir & Éowyn?
Aragorn and Eowyn.  Not allowed?  Oh, all right, Faramir and Eowyn.  In the book, though.  Even the extended edition has only a measly little bit of them together.  Did you know that they filmed a whole Faramir/Eowyn wedding scene, but never released it?  I would SO love to see that. 

14. Did you shed any tears when Thorin died? It ruined The Hobbit for me the first time over, but I don't recall actually crying.  It takes a looong, drawn-out scene to do that to me.  Like the Grey Havens in the Extended Edition.  *sniffle*
 
15. Which is most terrifying of the following: orcs nabbing you in your sleep, giant spiders crawling out of dark tunnels and forests, Nazgul standing right over where you're hiding, or a ghost army that doesn't like you very much? Nazgul.  Or maybe the orcs, because they've caught you already, but you still have a chance of not being caught by the Nazgul.

16. How well would you enjoy life as a hobbit? Would it be preferable to being something like, say, an elf? Or a Ranger?  Life as a hobbit would be tolerably-tolerable, but I'd have to be one of the Tooks (not Pippin's sister, though.  He would be a brother not to be borne.)  Rangers have a certain charm, because, of course, that's what Aragorn was.  But that would be a little too dangerous for me.  Elves... now, that's perfect.  If I could be anything in Middle Earth, I'd be one of the Lothlorien elves.  With frequent visits to Rivendell, of course.  That would be preferable even to being Queen of Rohan.  Unless I could be both.  Of course, I'd have to give up my Elvenness like Arwen did if I married Eomer, but I wonder if I even could...  Were any of the elves of Lothlorien were descended from Beren and Luthien?  Let me look up Half-Elves.  Let me see, Galadriel's daughter's husband (Elrond) was their great-grandson.  I guess some Half-Elf blood got into Lothlorien. 

Sooooo, if I was in Middle Earth, if I was a Half-Elf, and if I wanted to marry Eomer, I'd have to give up my Elvenness to do so.  Not nice at all. 

But wait.  Tuor, one of the few men who married Elvish women, was given, as a 'unique exception' the chance to become an elf himself.  If Tuor could get a unique exception, why not Eomer?

Teehee.  Please tell me I'm not the only one who finds finding obscure bits of Middle Earth history delightful.

Have you watched LOTR or read any of Tolkien's works?  What did you think of it? Don't forget to go to Arda Nessimava to see the rest of the Unexpected Blog Party!

4 comments:

Nessíma Tavariel said...

Thanks for doing the tag! I also take great delight the far and forgotten corners of Middle Earth history. :)
And I hate to be the one to break this news to you, but Éomer is married. To Faramir's cousin, as it happens. If you didn't already know that. Which of course you might've. But if you didn't, you do now.

Rachel (Cynthia) Heffington said...

Lovely lovely post! :) I know I lad named "Strider" and I thought that was the coolest nod to LOTR without being blatant about it. Strider's a legitimately cool name. :D And you like Eomer too? D'awwwww! I love him

Ally said...

This post has effectively reawakened all my love of Tolkien which has been buried beneath college priorities since August.

You're not alone. Any random little bits of Middle Earth are delightful. <3 Oh! Hobbit inspired t-shirt in this literary giveaway: www.charlieandmewrite.blogspot.com

(!)

Hayden said...

oh, yay! I'm going to have to do this....