Monday, July 16, 2012

How delightful! {My Fair Lady with Anthony Andrews}

First of all, Anthony Andrews in My Fair Lady is amazing, splendiferous, delightful, wonderful, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera (and I'm writing this in the intermission between Act 1 and Act 2 - I love it!)  I knew AA could sing, because otherwise he wouldn't have been cast in a musical at all, but I don't think I actually realized it until he was in the middle of "Why can't the English?" and it suddenly struck me, "Hey!  Anthony Andrews can sing!  Anthony Andrews can sing!  ANTHONY ANDREWS can SING!" I won't go into much detail now, but since I agree with everything Amy and Eowyn said, you can just run over to their blogs.  And if you haven't listened to it now, what on earth are you waiting for? 

A real PICTURE from the actual musical!

But in case you aren't an Anthony Andrews fan, I implore you to watch The Scarlet Pimpernel 1982 immediately.

Oh, that was not what I meant to say.  Let's try again.  In case you aren't an Anthony Andrews fan, I implore you to realize that he's not the only reason this My Fair Lady is amazing.  Fully staged (I wish I could've been there to see it!), with a superb cast (yes, even without the... the individual... playing Henry Higgins), beautiful music, great lyrics, splendiferous storyline...

And of course An... the actor playing Professor Higgins... was absolutely perfect for the role.  I nearly forgot to say that. :P
 
"Goodbye, Professor Higgins.  I shall not be seeing you again."  Sob.

Because Sir Percy Anthony Andrews is Henry Higgins...
By rights this should be on the nearly-choking-Chauvelin scene in The Elusive Pimpernel or the mug-throwing scene in El Dorado, but those unfortunately aren't in the movie.
I might not be very articulate (even though I am a human with a soul and the gift of articulate speech!) but what am I to do? I got tea this morning instead of coffee!

Um, I didn't have any tea this morning. It was way too hot. It has been SO HOT for the last while.

But I've been thinking about this for quite a while and have a question for all of you.  That ending is so deliciously abrupt.  You don't get told half the amount you want to hear about the end.  Were Henry Higgins and Eliza in love?  Would they maybe get married?  Or would they be just sort of companionable friends?  I read somewhere that in Pygmalion (the play MFL is adapted from) George Bernard Shaw intended for Eliza to marry Freddy.

Marry Freddy!  What an infantile idea!

Ahem.  Being the hopeless romantic that I am, I like to think that they were actually in love, even though it's not directly said in the musical.  What do you think?

Oh, and in case you didn't know,

ANTHONY ANDREWS CAN SING!

That's all.

8 comments:

Melody said...

Haha, well, Amy and I decided before that Eliza didn't marry Henry OR Freddy. (And certainly not Freddy.) Henry was too old. We decided she moved back in with him and they got a sort of uncle-and-niece relationship going. And then some other nice guy came along and ended up marrying her.

But by this time she may have changed her mind as to that. It wouldn't be the first time it's happened. :P

I wouldn't really mind her marrying Henry Higgins though, if he learned to behave himself. Not if he was as old as AA, though. Ahem.
:P

Alexandra said...

THEY WERE IN LOVE.

That is my theory and I'm sticking with it, world without end, the end.

Duhhhhhh. She could have danced all night. :) I like to think that that last verse of "Without You" is more trying to convince herself that she *can* live without him because she knows she can't, and of course the gorgeous "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face" (which his version was the most emotional and lovely of any I've heard ever, period). And why would there be such a big deal of her coming back at the end if they weren't going to end up together?

That's my take. If I ever got the glorious opportunity to play Eliza (opposite AA's Higgins, of course...hey, I can dream, right?) that is how I would play the character.

EPICNESS is the only word.

And as you said, ANTHONY ANDREWS CAN SING. That's just one more reason why he's the awesomest ever, ever, ever, ever, etc.

The end.

Anonymous said...

*sigh* He was so amazing.... Loved it to bits and pieces!

Loved your post! I was thinking of posting during the intermission, but I decided to wait until it was over and I was a little calmed down. (Otherwise, my post would literally be "SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEE! HE'S SO GOOD! The End." Not much for a blog post, right? Heehee....)

Oh, and thanks for linking to me! Happy grin!

Eowyn

(Heehee - Poet and I didn't know it!)

Elizabeth Rose said...

I've read so many reviews for this particular version of My Fair Lady — and they all include the same picture, imagine that! — that I'm wishing I had listened to it myself. I must admit that I haven't seen the full 1982 TSP, but I've read the book (and adored it, I might add) too many times to count, and I've also seen so many clips of the film that I feel almost as if I've seen it. I know, I know, that doesn't quite account for seeing the real thing all the way through . . . and I will! . . . soon. ;)

Anyway. Please excuse that little TSP rambling. :D Even if I couldn't hear MFL myself, reading this post almost made up for it, and I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

Miss Melody Muffin said...

I've not read the play or seen the movie (dreadful I know but it is on the list, I promise!)but from what I do know, I always assumed they were in love. And, I agree with Alexandra, why would they have made such a big deal out of her coming back if they weren't in love?

Miss Dashwood said...

ANTHONY ANDREWS CAN SINGGGGGGGGGG?

Do you hear Sir Percy sing, singing the song of an angry man? (Um, that only applies in "A Hymn to Him." Heeheehee.) It is the music of the Pimpernel... okay, I ran outa rhymes. :P

And what *I* say is, them as pinched it done her in. Er, what I say is that HH was in love with Eliza, but she wasn't in love with him-- yet she DID grow to care for him like an uncle or whatever. And they did NOT get married, but she married someone else and he learned to live with it. What Melody said. :D

Ehhhh... I don't know if I'd be okay with her marrying Higgins if he learned to behave himself, though, because if he learned to behave himself completely, he wouldn't be half as interesting. Heh, heh, heh.

Anonymous said...

Oh, reading your blog always reminds me that I want to read The Scarlet Pimpernel!
Edith

An Old-Fashioned Girl said...

Maria,
I think that Henry and Eliza were in love and got married, OR ditto what Amy said. It depends on how old Henry is!