Friday, June 8, 2012

The Heroine Check-list: How to have an adventure {Guest post by Rachel}

"But when a young lady is to be a heroine, the perverseness of forty surrounding families cannot prevent her. Something must and will happen to throw a hero in her way."
So says Jane Austen at the beginning of one of her drollest, wittiest, funniest novels: Northanger Abbey.

Every one of us--from me, to you, to Catherine Moreland--long to be a heroine. I know I'm not the only one who walks through the woods with her head in the clouds quoting Mr. Darcy's proposal. I mean, honestly. Implanted deep into the soul of every woman is a desire to be cherished, loved, treated tenderly. Besides that, a good many of us always keep a weather eye out for a sign of any adventure on the horizon.

We find it easy to bemoan our lot. There are forty surrounding families, all of whom are dull as powder and insipid and not clever or charming and haven't any sort of an accent and are poor as Job's turkey anyway! What's a girl to do? Life goes on at the sweet, slow pace, or else runs us through the ringer with the break-neck speed in which it passes.

So how can we go from Run-of-the-mill to Heroine? Here's a 15-item Check-list to Becoming a Heroine! :)

1. Break into song at random moments and wait for a chap "to finish your duet"
2. Conduct yourself like a heroine. This doesn't mean flirtation. This means modestly, wisdom, expertise.
3. Speak in a British accent. In public.
4. Read. A lot. A whole lot.
5. And imitate the girls you read about. Esther Summerson? Amy Dorrit? You'll be hard pressed to find better role-models
6. Let the men be heroes. Let them give you their spot in line, open doors for you, carry things for you, etc.
7. Walk in the rain.
8. Keep an eye out for adventure and respond accordingly
9. Faint now and then
10. Wear flowers in your hair
11. Learn archery
12. Learn an accomplishment such as singing, drawing, playing, falling down hills right as a hero comes along, or matchmaking.
13. Leave notes everywhere you go
14. Practice making witty comebacks
15. Keep in mind the Story you're a part of. The Story the Lord is writing for this whole mad, merry, world.
 
 
 
Hello everyone! I'm Rachel Heffington--a writer, blogger, Christian, sister of eight, and a Lass of All Trades. I love to read, take road-trips, sing, take walks, laugh--a lot--, play volleyball, travel, watch movies, quote movies, drool over period-drama costumes, and of course write. :) I also happen to be a moderately-organized person which means I have three blogs: one I write with my sister, Sarah (Our Family View From Us Two), one for my writing (The Inkpen Authoress) and one of my own wherein I chronicle my life, hopes, dreams, trials, and joys as a stay-at-home daughter. (A Butcher, A Baker, A Candlestick Maker) So stop on by and visit me one of these days! I love visitors and I love comments! :)

3 comments:

Alexandra said...

Ooh, I loved this post!!! Really fun. Thanks so much for sharing! :)

Miss Melody said...

Hee-hee! I loved it. :) Such a nice blend of truth and wit. ;-) And isn't that Northanger Abbey quote perfectly delightful?

"I know I'm not the only one who walks through the woods with her head in the clouds quoting Mr. Darcy's proposal."
Y'know what, Rachel?
I like you.

HAHAHAHA.
Couldn't resist. ;-)

Hayden said...

loved this!!!!

I SO want to learn archery.... :D