Thursday, May 17, 2012

The family...

Our Family View From Us Two

Rachel and Sarah are having a Family Facts blog event!  Being part of a rather interesting family and around them for a LOT of the time, I thought it would be fun to participate.


  1. What are some of your family's favorite phrases, exclamations, or sayings?

    It really depends, any quote from Disney's Robin Hood or any book we're reading at the time immediately becomes a favorite saying. Oh yes, and, "To all and sundry, near and far," after which everyone else chants, "F. Christmas in particular. And signed it not Johannes R, but very humbly, Jack." I'm not sure how we got that A. A. Milne poem in our heads but it's certainly in.


  2. What's the number of boys to girls in your family?

    Four girls, one boy.  He is rather outnumbered, but he holds his own for all that.


  3. What is your favorite tradition your family has?

    Gardening, playing musical instruments (whether you want to or not :P), celebrating Dutch holidays, and reading aloud together.  We are also prone to being rather obsessed with our interests and boring everyone crazy with them.  Until somebody finds that it's unboring to joke with people about their obsessions... then the fun begins. 

     My brother: Do you know what Tolkien’s least favorite country was?

    Me: I don’t want to answer this.

    Him: It was France.

    Me: But there’s nothing wrong with France.

    Him: It’s evil.  Anthony Andrews spent many years of his life saving people from the murderous clutches of FRANCE.

    Okay, forget about Baroness O. having the time machine.  I guess it was Anthony Andrews who had it.  And all this just because I had - ahem! - quite casually mentioned to my brother the fact that an Anthony Andrews was High Sheriff of Rutland (the oldest secular office under the Crown) exactly 399 years ago.  More use of time machines, I guess. ;)

  4. What do you call the midday meal at your house?

     Lunch.

  5. Is the majority of your family morning people or night owls?
     The majority are morning people.  I happen to be a morning person by habit rather than fact.  Everyone's long asleep by the time a proper night owl would be settling down for a good read.



  6. What is your favorite vacation location? :P

    The Canadian prairies, to visit and camp with relatives.

  7. Are your family's weekends usually full of activities such as sports, parties, and outings, or are they more of around the house, fix-it-uppers?

    A tiny bit of sports, parties when there are parties to go to, and outings once in a blue moon.  We do a lot of around the house, fix-it-uppers.

  8. What is the nationality/ies your family comes from? (i.e. Scotch, Russian, etc)
     Dutch, although I think I'm also a teeny little bit French



  9. Do you go away for holidays, or celebrate at home?

    We're at home, most of the time.

  10. How did your parents meet?

    By rights they should have met at a track and field meet when they were kids.  But they didn't really see each other until they went to the same university, studied the same stuff, went to the same church and even rode on the same bus!  And their romance really only began when Dad was asked to fill an extra place for Mom's birthday dinner.  It's rather an interesting story.
So!  What are you waiting for?  Go on to Rachel and Sarah's and join in the fun!

8 comments:

Vellvin said...

Love your answers. :)
I don't suppose you could share some more of about how your Mum and Dad got together if I'm not imposing or if you find that too private.
I really just like to know how other people's parents came to get to know each other.

Alexandra said...

LOVED THIS!!!!!

Miss Dashwood said...

"Anthony Andrews spent many years of his life saving people from the murderous clutches of FRANCE."

Okay, I officially died laughing, and now I am dead, and so I can't comment on the rest of the post. Pity.

...

Ooh, wait, I was only mostly dead, and mostly dead is slightly alive, so here I am again to bug you with a long comment.

YOU LIKE A.A. MILNE POEMS TOOOOOOOO? I *knew* you were a kindred spirit!! *exuberant hug* "But O, Father Christmas if you love me at all... bring me a big, red, india-rubber ball!"

Heehee, your family ratio of boys to girls sounds eerily familiar. :D

Okay, pardon a Yankee's ignorance, but I have no idea what Rutland might be-- is it a place or a position? Heehee, that's funny about the Anthony Andrews thing. Randomness-- my sisters and I now refer to a certain kind of battery as Anthony Andrews batteries instead of boring old double A's. :P

Your parents' story sounds highly interesting. I LOVE hearing about how people met.

Now I want to do this tag...

Maria Elisabeth said...

Vellvin
No, you're not imposing. Let's see what I can find. Long before they Mum's birthday dinner (which was the beginning of their romance), Dad's brother took Mum out skating and Dad went with the lady who is now married to my uncle. At least that's the way they went there, but the Mum just 'happened' to spend all the time with Dad and my uncle just 'happened' to spend all the time with my future aunt. It's funny that they married a few years later.

Oh, and another random bit? My parents only went out with each other for two or three weeks before they got engaged. And another thing I find quite funny is the fact that Dad's face actually HURT after he spent time with Mum, from smiling too much.

Alexandra
Thank you! I like my stuff to be loved. *bows*

Amy
How many lives does a mouse have? The amount of times you've died and come to life is a lot more than the nine lives of a cat.

You will bug me? Ah, now I see. You are not a beetle Amy, but a bug Amy. But I am never bugged by comments from any kind of Amys.

Of course we're kindred spirits. I knew that the first time I screamed with laughter reading one of your posts (which was almost the first post you wrote).

And sometimes no one spoke to him
For days and days and days.
And men who came across him,
When walking in the town,
Gave him a supercilious stare,
Or passed with noses in the air –
And bad King John stood dumbly there,
Blushing beneath his crown.


You'll never give me a supercilious stare, will you?

Rutland is... a county. (and wikipedia is very handy for such information.

Jessa Bri said...

I've awarded you at Life Of A MI Homeschooler! Come by and get your award!

Abilaine said...

This has nothing to do with your post Maria Elisabeth but I have awarded you! :)

Go here to get the button thing. :)

http://missemmawoodhouse.blogspot.com/2012/05/ive-been-awarded.html

~Abilaine

P.S. Sorry if there was a misunderstanding between us. LOL!

Sarah said...

Thanks for linking up, Miss Georgiana! :) Great answers, by the way. :)
-Sarah

Maria Elisabeth said...

Jessa
Thank you so much!

Abilaine
Thank you too. And there wasn't a misunderstanding between us. I understood you perfectly.

Wait! Why did I just quote Mrs. Dashwood? What I mean is that there are no real misunderstandings between friends.