Thursday, March 29, 2012

I adore tags!

I've been tagged by Miss Dashwood (who has revealed that her first name is Amy, short for Amelia. At last I know a person with that name!  Many of my favorite names are sadly unused among my acquaintance.) and Elizabeth (whose name I also love, and fortunately is not quite as unused as Amy seems to be.  Anyways.)

This is a tag with very elevenish rules:
1. Post these rules
2. Post 11 random things about yourself (optional)
3. Answer the questions the tagger posted for you in their post.
4. Create 11 new questions for the people you tag to answer.
5. Go to their blog and tell them that they have been tagged

Here are my eleven things.  I'm not posting 22 things because although I know I am amply capable of saying 22 things Very Dull Indeed I wouldn't want to bore you all and send you fleeing like a flock of sheep.

1: Bright, bright, bright blue doesn't suit me.  Of course I didn't find that out until after I bought a shirt exactly that color.  I was wondering why I didn't have much blue in my closet.  Now I know.

2: I call my two dogs (they're not actually mine but kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with facts) Sir Andrew Ffoulkes and Lord Antony Dewhurst.  It fits them perfectly, after searching for more than a year for the perfect literary-character names.

3: I tend to laugh a lot.  As I read in Anne of the Island just this afternoon:

The first day I came I remarked to Miss Maria that it looked a little like rain—and Miss Maria laughed. I said the road from the station was very pretty—and Miss Maria laughed. I said there seemed to be a few mosquitoes left yet—and Miss Maria laughed. I said that Prospect Point was as beautiful as ever—and Miss Maria laughed. If I were to say to Miss Maria, 'My father has hanged himself, my mother has taken poison, my brother is in the penitentiary, and I am in the last stages of consumption,' Miss Maria would laugh.


4: I once failed a history test for not knowing the third law of thermodynamics - or was it the first? A history test!  I ask you, is that fairÉ

5: Somehow I can turn on the French/accent-y setting on the keyboard without knowing how.  And them all my question marks turn into capital Es with accent marks on them.

6: Earlier this year I cross-stitched an enormous cross-stitch flower design.  It took me about sixty million hours.

7: I know I exaggerate, but exaggeration is just a flight of poetic fancy.  Now, if you can find out what chapter in what book that is, you get a thousand bonus points because I can`t remember the chapter.

8: I play the recorder - better than could be expected, considering how much I practice.

9: I love chai tea with lots of milk.

10: I am most horribly displeased that Gandalf is beating Galadriel in the middle earth march madness tournament.

11: I dislike science in general, but have rather a fondness for advanced theorectical physics.

Miss Dashwood's eleven questions:
1. Describe your dream pair of shoes.
They would be pure, shiny white, with about two inch heels.  The toes would be closed and from there to the ankle there would be thin, criss-crossed straps, white with white and silver bead embroidery.  On the front of the shoe there would be a flower embroidered with the same white and silver beads.  Probably a five-petaled flower, because y'know, I have rather a thing for five-petaled flowers.

2. What's your favorite children's picture book?
Make Way For Ducklings, by Robert McCloskey.  For drawing in grade seven I copied those gorgeous little ducklings in pencil.

3. What's your favorite fruit?
As a rule, I'd probably have to say strawberries.  Harriet, we must eat strawberries at your wedding.

4. How tall are you?
5 ft 8.  When I was younger I was scared silly that I'd get to be six feet, but it looks like that won't happen.

5. If money was no object, where would you like to go on your honeymoon?
All over Europe - particularly France and England. 

6. Who is your favorite singer?
You want me to be honest?  Well, alright.  I actually have three favorite singers: me, myself, and I. :P
In all seriousness, I don't normally listen to songs because of their singers.  I love Julie Andrew's voice, though.

7. What's the next book on your to-read list?
Ah, the 'to-read list'.  Containing all the books I think I should read but don't want to read enough to dive in like usual.  Anyways, it would probably be the Screwtape Letters.

8. What's your biggest language-related pet peeve? (i.e., what phrases or words bug you the most?)
Ask Marianne Dashwood.  She'll tell you.  :D
But what Marianne did not have to deal with was the constant use of the word 'like', like anywhere possible, like, where the sentence, like, can handle it, and overuse of texting abbreviations.  Those things annoy me.

9. Which movie lines do you quote the most? (share as many or as few as you like)

I knew it!  I just knew it!  I tried to tell you, but no, no, no, you wouldn'd listen.  Now look at what you've done.

This quote is from the Disney Robin Hood, probably the movie I quote most often because most of the people who I in real-life quote to have watched it.  If I quote from TSP or Little Dorrit they normally miss the joke.  Which is a monstrous pity.


10. If you could wear any outfit from a movie for a day, what would you choose?


 Marguerite's dress from TSP1934. Yes, from The Other One.

like this, but not in black and white
a back view



















11. What's your favorite dessert?
Chocolate cheesecake garnished with dark chocolate and strawberries.


Elizabeth's questions:
1. Which to genre do you prefer: historical fiction, a regular novel, or fantasy?
Historical fiction, most definately.  That is my idea of a regular novel. :)

2. How do you feel about all these new E-readers? (nooks, kindles)
I've tried reading on my laptop and found it surprisingly pleasant.  I'd love an e-reader for those books I can't seem to get as anything but e-books but I prefer books, especially if they have gorgeous covers.

3. Do you play an instrument? If so what instrument?
Organ and recorder

4. Is there an instrument that you don't play, but wish you could?
The violin.  I actually could, if I wanted to, but I'm too lazy.

5. What are some of your favorite musicians?
Honestly, I would have to say my church organist, partly because he plays my favorite pieces and partly because he's an amazing person in his own right.  I also wish I could have met Clara Schumann.  She would have been an interesting person to know.

6. Do you prefer white chocolate or milk/dark chocolate?
Dark chocolate

7. What is your favorite month?
November is the month with my birthday, June is the month when school ends, March is a delightfully spring-y month.  I really don't know.

8. If you had the chance to go to 5 countries what countries would they be?
The United States (because most of you bloggy people happen to live there and it's rather silly to say I've seen the US, but not been there), the United Kingdom, France, Austria, Italy

9. Are you a country or a city person? Or a little of both?
A country person, unless the cities have museums, art galleries, grand old buildings, and historical archives.

10. Who is your favorite character from Narnia?
Eustace Clarence Scrubb, partly because of his name.   I also have an easier time identifying with the not-perfect people.  My favorite character in TLtWatW (that looks odd abbreviated) is Edmund, because he isn't perfect.  He actually has a reason to repent, for pity's sake.

11. What is your favorite kind of cookie?
Double chocolate chip, most of  the time.

My questions:
1: What is your favorite kind of tea?
2: What are your five absolutely-most favorite movies?
3: What are some fashion trends - from the present or the past - that you love and actually wear?
4: What are three inspirational/devotional books that you love?
5: What is your favorite artist or picture?
6: If you had to describe your own looks as a character in a novel, what would you write?  Or your own looks as you wish they were.  You can have an imagination, y'know.
7: What kind of music do you listen to most of the time?
8: What literary secondary character are you most like?
9: What literary secondary hero-like characters do you love? (I know you can think of a million main characters.  So can I.  So I'm making it harder.)
10: What are your opinions of the subject of poetry?
11: Which author's writing styles do you admire the most?

And I'm tagging the authors of all the blogs I regularly read (oh my, there are a lot), with the exception of the people who I don't think 'do' tags.  So if I haven't tagged you it means either that I don't know about your blog (in which case you should tell me) or I didn't think you'd like to do the tag (in which case you should prove me wrong.)  And if you've already been tagged you can ignore this and I won't be very offended.

9 comments:

Charity U said...

Wonderful tag, Miss Georgiana! :) I already did this, but thanks anyway for tagging me! :)

Jemimah C. said...

Thank you for tagging me. I realized, though, I answered this tag before. I'd love to answer to your questions, but I'm a bit time constrained right now. I must say, I had fun reading this post.

Miss Dashwood said...

Haha, LOVING the Mary Poppins reference in random thing #2... and that Anne of the Island quote is one of my favorites!

Those dream shoes... ahhhhh...

Ah! You are taller than I! How very interesting... I had always pictured you as shorter, but this is a different kettle of fish! I look up to you more than ever now. :D I had a major growth spurt when I was 11 and was also scared I'd get to 6', but thankfully I stopped. :D

Like, I had no idea that, like, you were so opposed to, like, that word. Like, seriously, that's just like me because, like, it annoys me, like, excessively, too!

TSK, TSK, TSK. Liking (haha) that dress from The Other TSP... just wait till Alexandra gets you. Muwahahahaha. (Seriously, though, it IS a lovely dress. *hides*)

Dark chocolate and strawberries togethah... I'm swooning. Somebody catch me!

You play the organ? What fun! Is it very difficult?

Thanks for tagging me! I know I've already done this but your questions look like fun so I might just do those... :D

Maria Elisabeth said...

Miss Dashwood,
Oh! You look up to me? I am excessively flattered.

And that word... Why does everyone I like (hehe again) use it?

Well, I have mixed feelings on the subject of that movie. When I post a review I'm not sure if I'll have Alexandra after me or the people who did like it. Or them together. You try to please both and you end up pleasing neither.

The organ isn't that hard to play. Really depends on the piece you're playing, I'd say.

Nessima Tavariel said...

You tagged me? Aw, thanks! I didn't notice until now, somehow your updates were not showing on my dashboard. *frowns* Sorry about that...
I've already done this tag, but thanks so much :)

~Nessima of Arda Nessimava

Diana said...

My dog is also named after a Scarlet Pimpernel character: Percy. What else? :)

Anonymous said...

Which is Sir Antony Dewhurst, and which is Sir Andrew Ffoulkes.

Maria Elisabeth said...

M'dear child, you are supposed to put question marks after questions. *stern glare*

But since you asked, Chester is Sir Andrew and Rex is Lord Tony. But I must point out that Lord Tony full name is Lord ANTHONY Dewhurst. Like ANTHONY Andrews. Precisely.

And, for your information, I have the right to tease and nag this Anonymous around because I am her older sister AND history teacher, after all.

Melody said...

I do hope you still adore tags, because otherwise I suppose this will make me a wild Beast.

http://regencydelight-janeaustenetc.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-infamous-tag.html