Thursday, March 15, 2012

Beautiful People: Henri La Riviere

Another little muddle while writing A Woman in Shadow.  I'm introducing four main characters in the next few chapters and I know almost nothing about them.  And I mean nothing.  Madeleine's fiance is the one I'm have to deal with soonest, and before I started this I didn't know even know his last name.   
1. If your character could be played by an actor, who would it be? 
I know very little about Henri, so it's pretty much up for grabs.  Patrick Wilson would do a good job, I think.

2. Does your character have a specific theme song? "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables" from Les Miserables makes me think of him every time.  (And I listen to it a lot.  I can't seem to keep myself away from "Do You Hear the People Sing" and I always listen to this one after that to keep me from starting a revolution then and there.  Yup.  I sort of get emotionally involved in songs.)

3. What's their worst childhood memory? His father, a Huguenot, wrongfully accused of... something, leading to his imprisonment and the confiscation of their property, is the worst thing that happened to him as a child.  But that is by no means the worst thing that happened to him.  What begins as a dream may end as a nightmare.  Henri has a lot of dreams, so, lots of nightmares.

4. If your character had a superpower, what would it be? The ability to always forgive people and to NEVER give up hope.  He's rather an idealist, but when one has an ideal...

5. If your character crashed on an island with a bunch of other people, how could your character help the group survive? He'd first inspire them all with courage and perseverance, then he'd get to whatever work needed to be done.  He might get to it before he found the proper tools, but then little things like that don't bother him.

6. Are they married? If not, do they someday wish to be?
No to married, yes to wish to be.  He had sort of a childhood romance with Madeleine - very sweet.

7. What is a cause they would die for?
*sobs*
Well, at least I know the answer to this one.  Let me tell you a secret.  *lowers voice*  You see, he is dead already. 
*starts crying uncontrollably*
I don't even get to have a scene with him in it at all.  It's sort of odd, paying so much attention to a dead character, but he's behind everything Madeleine says and does and embodies the book's theme.  And he's in the way of the ending.  I'll have to put him aside somehow.  Gently, of course.

But you wanted to know what he would die for?  I said he had the ability to forgive people; he carries that to an amazing extent. 

8. Would they rather die fighting valiantly, or quietly at home?

He would prefer to die at home after a long and useful life, but that doesn't make him any more careful with it.  So he doesn't.

9. If a stranger walked up to them and told them they were the child of the prophesy, would they believe them?

Child of what prophesy, may I ask?  While Henri isn't that guillible, he does think he's been put in this life for a purpose.  I think he'd be more likely to pay some attention to it then most people.

10. Do they prefer the country, or the city?
The country as a rule, but generally there are more opportunities for heroism and changing the world in the city.  So it depends.

6 comments:

Miss Dashwood said...

Wow, Henri sounds like a character I want to know more about... I was quite floored when I read the answer to #7!
But there are a few flashbacks concerning him, yes? Please?

Getting emotionally involved in songs, eh? Hear, hear!
'Twould seem you are becoming a bit of a Les Miz fan... is it true??? Tell me it is true! Are you now one of us? Will you take your place with me?
(The proper answer to that question is, "My place is here, I'm a fan with youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!") :)

Also, "Do You Hear" and "Empty Chairs" (yes, I tend to shorten the titles) are good at balancing each other out. I love both songs... so much... Have you heard the whole album yet? Which version of the songs do you like? (Somebody stop me or I'll go on like this for HOURS... when Les Miz is involved, I get a little, um, passionate. :D)

Allison said...

If you don't be careful about introductions to your book you are going to have to mail me a copy!!! ;) It sounds like a lovely, heartbreaking story (the best kind).
Keep it up :)
Allison

Maria Elisabeth said...

Oh, Miss Dashwood, I knew you'd ask! Now, how do I break it to you nicely?

Don't worry, I'm not telling you that I hate it. I couldn't say that. But now, here it is: I haven't seen it at all.

*shrinks into the farthest corner of the room*

I do have an explanation. (I always do, but I this time it's a good one.) My parents, who have seen me fly head-first into every work of literature I get my hands on with the sequels and movies therof, think I should wait a while before getting into Victor Hugo. I cheerfully agree with this in theory, but it's not as easy to be cheerful about it in practice. :(

Anyways, I do LOVE the songs that I've heard on your blog and I'll see it sometime.

(Oh, and by the way, I couldn't get 'Stars' from your playlist. The video is 'not found or marked private' You'll put it on. Please? For a poor, Les Mis deprived girl? ;) Don't worry, it's actually not that bad. I think I might steal from the character of whoever sings Empty Chairs at Empty Tables for my novel and that just. wouldn't do. So I'm content waiting for a while.

Jessica said...

Oh, truly delightful and charming and I would be delighted to make his acquaintance someday... Oh and to get emotionally involved in music and in a character that has passed on is one of the rare delightful agonies of life.

Thank you for sharing!

Jessica

Alexandra said...

Ooooh, your character...sounds sooo interesting. And sheesh, I was floored too by anwer 7!!! :-D

Elizabeth said...

I tagged you on my blog. :)
http://theendlessroad-elizabeth.blogspot.com/2012/03/tag-with-lot-of-elevens.html