Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Anne of Green Gables Week: Tag Questions

Yet Another Period Drama Blog


It's Anne of Green Gables Week!!! Hosted by the lovely, talented, witty, and altogether I-defy-you-not-to-laugh Miss Dashwood.

Just a little disclaimer before I start. Because they say everything you should have said in the main post but can't find a spot for.  I LOVE disclaimers, but maybe you knew that already.

First of all, I have mixed feelings about Lucy Maud Montgomery.  I like her, and I don't.  Second of all, I have mixed feelings about Anne herself.  Yes, you heard me.  Don't gasp too loudly, please.  I love her, but sometimes she seems a little over-the-top and I can't fully relate to her.  Now that I've said that, we can go on to the fun part.  (Where you might find that I do love Anne a great deal after all.  I am rather confuddled.)

1. How many of the Anne books have you read, and how many of the films have you seen?
I've read all the books except Rainbow Valley.  It just seemed like an odd sort of book with odd sort of children and I was really eager to get to Rilla of Ingleside, so I skipped that one.  As to the movies, I saw the first one when I was what? *Mentally calculates*  I watched it at my aunt's, but was it before she got married or when she got her first baby?  Let me see... My aunt got married just before my little sister was born, that was about ten years ago.  Was I perhaps five then?  Or did I watch it on one of my later visits, which would probably make me six or seven.  Oh my, this is getting confusing. Suffice it to say, it was the first period drama I ever watched and all I remember from it is that Anne added an 'e' to her name on the blackboard and my brother, hating all things Anne, went to bed ridiculously early so that he would be as far away from it as possible.

2. If someone yanked your hair and called you carrots, what would you do to him?
Ouch.  Well, first of all, I am rather vain of my hair.  I would be almost flattered that someone noticed it at all, although to be accurate he'd have to call me 'onion peels' or something like that.   But if he did...  If it was done by a random stranger I'd probably be very embarassed and frantically search my mind for something to say, all the while vaguely wondering when he'd apologize.  But if it's someone I know, then... *mentally makes a list of guy-acquaintances*  I actually can think of a couple guys - very nice and brotherly, actually - who might even do something like this.  I'd just laugh and if I was feeling particularly brilliant I'd come up with a retort that would put the joke on him.  But I rarely feel brilliant, so I'd probably just be embarrased.  No slate-breaking for me, please.  I hardly ever lose my temper.  But I don't know if it's because I never have a chance or because I just don't.

3. What would you do if Josie Pye dared you to walk the ridgepole of a roof?
Change the subject as. quickly. as. possible.

4. If you had the opportunity to play any AGG (I'm abbreviating from now on because I am a lazy typist) character in an AGG play, which role would you choose?
Personally, I think I'd be spot-on for Diana (although I would have to dye my hair. But black, not green, please.:P) I think I could also make a pretty convincing Jane Andrews.

5. If you were marooned on a desert island, which AGG character would you want to have as a companion? (Anne, Gilbert and Diana are not options. Let's keep this thing interesting. Not that they're not interesting.... oh, yay, now the disclaimer to this question is longer than the question itself. Lovely lovely lovely.)
I'd probably pick Jane Andrews.  She's sensible and efficient but can still be pleasant company.

6. If there was going to be a new adaptation of the Anne books and you could have any part in making the movie, what would you choose to do? (screenwriting, acting, casting, costume-making are a few possibilities)
Screenwriting, of courseActually, I'm considering adapting Rilla of Ingleside for Script Frenzy, just for fun. But I couldn't survive without taking just one eentsy-weentsy part.  Jane Andrews, if it was Anne of Green Gables or one of the sequels.  Or Faith Meredith if it was Rilla.  Or even Mary Vance.  It would be a lot of fun doing the whole sarcasm thing.

7. What are, in your opinion, the funniest AGG book/movie scenes? (choose one from the books and one from the movies)
Trying to think of something.....  Anne doesn't seem to have much of a sense of humor, perhaps that's why I can't completely relate to her.  But from the books, it would probably have to be something with Davy Keith in it.  He's always funny.

8. What are, in your opinion, the saddest AGG book/movie scenes? (choose one of each again)
Ruby's death in - oh wait, which book was it in? *frantically searches wikipedia* - okay, Ruby's death in Anne of the Island.  Other deaths are sad, but this was more than sad.  Poor, poor Ruby.
And, of course, just about every scene in Rilla with Walter in it.  If you're not breaking your heart or swooning half the time Walter's there you just might not be my friend.  (Or you just might.  There's almost nothing I like better than arguing, ahem, debating, with my friends.  Other than, of course, agreeing with them.  But then its not so interesting.:))

9. Which AGG character would you most like to spend an afternoon with? (again, Anne and Gilbert and Diana are not options for this one--think secondary characters)
Miss Lavender would be a lot of fun. 
10. What is your definition of a kindred spirit?
First of all, you have to share a common faith in Jesus Christ.  Otherwise, you're looking at the world very differently and can't expect to understand each other.  Then a kindred spirit is someone you admire, someone whom you're comfortable with, someone you can laugh with and change to deep thoughts at a moment's notice, someone you can share ideas with, someone you can argue with and still like each other more than ever.  And, of course, someone who you love.  (But if someone has all the characteristics above, I think it would be very hard not to love that person.)

7 comments:

Miss Dashwood said...

We are definitely friends, and this post proves it. Because I break my heart over Walter every. single. time I read Rilla of Ingleside. So I shan't debate you on that. ;)

However, I most certainly SHALL debate you about Anne's sense of humor, and I shall do it right mightily. Lud, mademoiselle, every time I read the books she is even MORE humorous than I recall. If that is possible.

She might not be particularly witty or silly on the outside, but she appreciates humor. Which is something that I highly approve of. Anne of Windy Poplars is probably the best book to use as an example. Remember the part where she was at Trix Taylor's for dinner and started the whole "what would you think of a man who..." to get Cyrus Taylor to speak? That was HILARIOUS. And then when she babysat Mrs. Gibson for poor Pauline... I adore those chapters. Take this quote, for instance.

Anne went wicked. After all, she had endured a good deal at Mrs. Gibson's hands that day.
"I think he's a psychological anachronism," she answered gravely.
Mrs. Gibson did not bat an eyelash.
"I agree with you," she said. But she pretended to go to sleep after that.


Heeheeheee...
Anyway.

I can provide more proof if you wish to argue--er, debate--this further. Loverly post, anyways. I like your definition of a kindred spirit! I think that one has become my favorite question on this tag... everyone's answers have been amazing!

Maria Elisabeth said...

It is very possible for her to be more humorous than I recall, because I don't recall her being humorous at all. Hey! I'm a poet and you did not know it.

Let me see if I can find any quotes to support my opinion. Here's one, from Anne of Avonlea.

"No, indeed," said Anne indignatly. She was an excellent target for teasing because she always took things so seriously.

And I think Anne is the only thing I disagree with you about. It might be a good thing for us to disagree on something, because it makes you fit my definition of a kindred spirit perfectly. Which is exactly as it should be. Actually, for this question I was sorely tempted to steal your definition. But I didn't, and instead just rewrote it in my own words. :P

Alexandra said...

I enjoyed your answers immensely, m'dear. Look here, though, I must agree with Miss Dashwood that Anne can be very humorous. Although since I consider Anne one of my twin literary sisters...well, I'm partial to her.

Methinks that it is monstrously appropriate that the three contributers to The Daydream should constantly speak Sir Percy style. The Man himself would approve.

Charity U said...

I LOVE this! Especially all those little notes -- most delightful. :) You made me laugh, always a good thing! Haha, and I too love arguing/debating with my friends, a vital part of our friendship. Your response on #2 especially made me laugh! And the whole calculation in #1. LOL!

"Rainbow Valley" has never been a top favorite of mine...maybe it doesn't quite fit in the series as welll as the others. I'm not sure. But "Rilla" is a favorite!

Anne-girl said...

My dear Hayden have you never read Anne of Windy Poplars? That is perhaps the funniest book in the whole world. But since you love Walter I will forgive you.

Anne-girl said...

I can't believe I just did that! I just realized that I called you Hayden! How did I do that? I do apologize.

Melody said...

Hahaha, although it may not be purposeful all the time, I think Anne is hysterically hilarious. It's been far too long since I've read what books I have read, but I do know that in Anne of GG The Sequel she has a funny, sarcastic sense of humor that I always love. ;-)

However, I do not like to argue OR debate... ;)