Saturday, December 17, 2011

Jane Austen's Birthday Letters

Here are my entries to Miss Dashwood's contest.


Dear Miss Austen,



Many happy returns on your birthday!  I have to thank you for bringing my dear Catherine and me together, and for also letting Eleanor finally marry her viscount.  But the shocking story you said I told Catherine!  I read it - my hair standing on end the whole time.  I’m sure my dear Catherine would pronounce it quite horrid.  Apart from that, I very much enjoyed your telling of our romance, for the person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.

Yours, &c.

Henry Tilney

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

My dear Madam,

I feel myself called, by my situation in life, to congratulate on your advancing age, in which I am joined by Lady Catherine and her daughter, and also by Charlotte. 

Lady Catherine is most affable, and her kindness is very offended at the marriage of her nephew to my cousin, especially considering that horrible elopement of her sister.  And this consideration leads me moreover to reflect, with augmented satisfaction, on a certain event of last November; for had it been otherwise, I would have shared in their disgrace and not have married my dear Charlotte.

I remain, madam, with respectful compliments, your well-wisher and friend,

            William Collins

1 comment:

Julia said...

I loved this!!! Your letters were great! I wrote a birthday letter from Anne Elliot. Wasn't this a fun idea of Miss Dashwood's? :D