Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Happy Birthday, Jane Austen, tag questions

Yet Another Period Drama Blog


1 - What was the first JA novel you ever read, and who introduced you to it? Pride and Prejudice, which I read after I watched the 2005 movie at a birthday party.


2 - Which is your least favorite JA novel, and why? (Everybody posts about their favorites... I want to know what's at the bottom of your list!) Oh no, how do I decide........  My least favorite can't be Northanger Abbey, and it can't be Mansfield Park, and it can't be Emma, and it certainly can't be Persuasion, so that leaves me with Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility.

What!  Those used to be my favorites!  Oh well...................


3 - Who do you think is the funniest character JA ever created? Mrs. Bennet would be the funniest overall, but for the funniest that I'd love to meet and talk to it would be Henry Tilney.


4 - Which JA villain[ess] do you love to hate? Hmmmmm, I think it would be Mr. Elliot.  I have absolutely no good feeling towards him. 
Oh, and Frank Churchill.  If he would only make himself a little nicer so that I'd have an easier time defending him.....


5 - What's your favorite JA quote? Please don't ask me.  I have lots of favorite JA quotes, but if you asked me now I'd probably end up quoting Sir Percy Blakeney. (Odd's fish, m'dear)


6 - If you were to "start" someone on JA, which book would you recommend to them first and why? Probably Pride and Prejudice, because, although it's not my favorite anymore, it's easier to get into and understand than something like Mansfield Park.


7 - What is your absolute favorite JA film adaptation and why? Probably Sense and Sensibility 1995, because it all together is soooo beautiful.


8 - If you could authorize a new film adaptation of one of JA's novels, which would it be and why?  Mansfield Park, certainly, so that they can use the script I hope to write.  But until the script's done, they can do proper adaptations of Northanger Abbey and Persuasion. (No weirdness in Northanger Abbey, please and Anne Elliot must not run all over Bath looking for Capt. Wentworth.)


9 - Which JA character do you most identify with?
Probably Elizabeth Bennet or Marianne Dashwood (or Catherine Morland or Anne Elliot or...)

10 - If you could have lunch with JA today, what question would you most like to ask her?
What's your favorite dish?  Um, no.  How do you figure out all your plots?

11 - Is there any one thing that you think could have been improved upon in one (or all) of JA's books? What is it and why? She could have written Edmund, Edward, Col. Brandon, and Henry Tilney's proposals. 

Oh yes, and she could have made one of her characters a member of the League of the Scarlet Pimpernel.  Henry Tilney, perhaps, or maybe Mr. Darcy.


12 - If you could have lunch with one of JA's characters today, who would it be and why?
Probably Henry Tilney, because he is so pleasantly witty, or Anne Elliot, because I'd really like to see what she looks like. :)

13 - (optional) Why is Miss Dashwood so fond of asking "why"? Probably because.... Counter question: why is Miss Darcy so fond of saying 'probably?'

Blessings,

4 comments:

Jemimah C. said...

I see we had the same introduction to Jane Austen. Pride and Prejudice was the first Austen novel I read, which was after I watched P&P 2005. I agree with #8! Mansfield Park needs vast improvements...and it would be splendid if you wrote the script. Although I enjoyed Northanger Abbey (2007), Catherine's imagination was weird. And Anne Elliot's running in Persuasion (2007) was out of context with the story and the Regency Era. Wonderful answers, Miss Georgiana! I definitely enjoyed reading them.

Anne-girl said...

I love your answer to number 13!

Miss Dashwood said...

Henry Tilney as one of the League??
Odd's fish, m'dear, you are very, very clever. Sink me, if I haven't heard a more brilliant idea in a cravat's age.
This was such fun to read! :)

Miss Laurie of Old-Fashioned Charm said...

I quite enjoyed reading your answers!
'Tis hard to choose a least favorite!

Are you writing a Mansfield Park script? How lovely! Melody and I have been writing up a few scenes. It's such a delightful story and really does need a faithful adaptation! I'd love miniseries of Persuasion and Northanger Abbey - they really deserve time for the story to develop.

Henry Tilney's wit would have made him a great candidate for the League of the Scarlet Pimpernel! :)

Enjoyed you answers dear!