Monday, November 7, 2011

Monday: Fanfiction contest

Miss Georgiana DarcyThere's only one Sense and Sensibility, right?

Well, yes, but so much more can be written about the delightful characters and beautiful scenes.

So in comes - you!

Do you think you can write a poem or story about the scenes or characters before after, or during S&S?  A rhyme about Marianne and Willoughby?  A short story of Edward's life before he knew Elinor?  What about one from Mrs. Jennings' point of view wondering why Marianne doesn't like olives?  The possibilities are, literally, endless.
via fanpop.cm

Now, half of faithful Janeites tend to gasp at the word fanfiction, especially sequels, but that's not really what we're doing.  We're just trying to exercise our creative talent a little and get to know S&S better.  You don't have to shrink away from this contest because you don't think you can do it, or you're too busy.  Surely you can write a limerick about Sir John Middleton, or a satirical piece about Fanny Dashwood.  The aim is just to get a short and snappy (or long if you really want) piece of fiction and have some fun.  We welcome cute, ridiculous, and even satirical entries. (Although do keep them clean, please.)

Just post your stuff on your blog by Saturday (if you don't have a blog, email your entry to me and I'll post it on here, with credit to you, of course.)  On Saturday, I'll put up a poll with all the entries, and the public can vote for their favorite!

Remember, the aim is just to have fun!

Very Sensibly Yours,

4 comments:

Miss Laurie of Old-Fashioned Charm said...

This sounds very interesting! I'll have to work on something, my mind is scheming and planning already! :)

Melody said...

Ha ha!! I actually started writing an S&S-based short story not so long ago. Maybe I'll have to pull it back out...=)

Miss Elizabeth Bennet said...

I've put together some limericks. Here they are if you would like to take a look.
http://elegance-of-fashion.blogspot.com/2011/11/sense-and-sensibility-limericks.html

Miss Laurie of Old-Fashioned Charm said...

I just posted my entry for the fanfiction contest. I didn't have time for a short story so I wrote a long letter from Margaret Dashwood to Marianne. This was so much fun! :)
http://old-fashionedcharm.blogspot.com/2011/11/s-week-fanfiction-margarets-london.html