Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Just a random update

I've been super busy for the last while with Nano and such, so I don't have time for a long post with a real topic, but here's a random update.

Nano is going pretty well.  (You can see my progress here.)  I'm getting quite in the hang of it, and really, when I was trying to decide whether to at an extra phrase to this post, my instictive reaction was, "Do it, of course.  It will up your word count."  Which, although perhaps handy in Nano, is not a particularly good rule for writing. :P

I got a delightful box (which now houses the cards I design) from Rachel for winning a past writing contest.  Here's my entry, in case you'd like to see it.

I’m not very special now, but I think I was something then,
Before people started writing with pencils and when authors used a quill-pen.
Before doctors had treatment that worked and when people came here for their health.
All people – the old and the young and the poor, and especially the rich with their wealth.
 I’m not very special now, but I think I was something then,
When I was called Aquae Sulis and the Britons came in from the fens
And Romans and soldiers and farmers delighted to come to my waters.
Romans and soldiers and farmers, with their wives and their sons and their daughters.
I’m not very special now, but I think I was something then,
When high society came to stay here, in groups of hundreds and tens
To sit in my steaming waters, and meet all their friends and talk
Or to read horrid novels, or just to go out for a walk.
 I’m not very special now, but I think I was something then,
In the south of western England, on the banks of the River Avon.
When anyone who could came (and those who couldn’t did not.)
And everyone who saw me declared that it was the loveliest spot.
 I’m not very special now, but I think I was something then,
It was a long time ago, and I hope you will not ask, “When?”
The long time ago that was then, as you read it in books
Curled up in a couch by the fire, or somewhere in your own private nooks.
 I’m not very special now, but I think I was something then,
Before people started writing with pencils and when authors used a quill-pen.
Before doctors had treatment that worked and when people came here for their health.
All people – the old and the young and the poor, and especially the rich with their wealth.

Next random topic: I love emails. 
Well, I do.  Especially if they're from nice people.


Oh, the trials of a nano-er How would you feel if your writing was going wonderfully and you made the heroine, who was making pancakes be out of baking powder, but then found out that oh no, she wouldn't have used baking powder anyways!
No, Anna, I am not going to let you make pancakes.  If you insist on not wanting baking powder, I will take away your sourdough!
There's nothing like persistance :P

I have a thousand ideas for other posts in my head, but as I said, since I am rather busy, I will leave you.

Love,
Miss Georgiana

1 comment:

Tarissa said...

Good luck with your Nanowrimo novel this month! I'm rooting for all my friends who are taking on the big challenge. As you may have seen on my blog, I'm tackling my own writing this month, but I'm not doing Nano. In fact, I'm calling it..."MyWriMo"--hehehe! I'm making progress in my own time.

Blessings,
~ Tarissa
{ In the Bookcase }