Wednesday, November 30, 2011

In which the girl who calls herself a writer tells you she's going to lose nano

Um, I said that wrong.  I'm going to lose NaNo - on one of the sites. 
The other one, well - I won it.
I finished my novel barely ten minutes ago with 38,924 words.  Or at least, that's according to Microsoft Word.  According to the YWP word count validator I have 39,135 words.  Oh well, I don't mind a few extra :)

My novel is all nicely finished with a conclusion, an epilogue, and a table of contents (did you know how many 'words' you can get from a table of contents?) and there is nothing more to be put into it, to push me up to 50,000 words.  And besides, there's no way I could write more than 10,000 words by midnight, but don't tell anybody; it's a secret. :P

Considering that I got about 39,000 words (3 times more than last years word count) and this is the first year that (age-wise) I was allowed on the main site, I think I did pretty good.

Even if I lost. 

But really, I don't mind not having gotten 50,000 words.  I was busy this month and S&S week didn't help my word count at all. (Note to self: don't try to write a novel and host a blog week at the same time, both suffer.) 
But I'm pretty sure I can get 50,000 next year and for now I have a nicely completed novel and the promise of five free copies of it.  That's enough to make anybody jump for joy.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

9 comments:

Melody said...

Good job! =)
How do you get 5 free copies? o.O

Rachel Heffington said...

Yay Georgiana!!! I am so glad you finished your story, even if it didn't get up to 50,000 words! And seriously, you get 5 free copies of it? (One more reason I might have to try it next year. :P)I hope we can hear more about it soon. :)

Magdalen Aithne Arkright said...

38,924 more words that I did!

Jessica said...

Wonderful attempt you really did a beautiful job with all you had going on Huzzah for the attempt... and congratulations for 39,000 words.

Last night I was trying to figure out how to win NaNoWriMo...my only conclusions... write over a thousand words per hour for the next 24 hours....didn't really feel appealing. Oh well.

Thanks for sharing!

Jessica

Miss Dashwood said...

Congratulations, Miss Darcy! Please do post another excerpt, I'm dying to read more of your lovely book. :)

Allison said...

Good job! Oh well if you didn't win, you still finished a whole novel. Which in my books is quite the victory :)
Now I really, really want to read it! Do you think there is any way that you could post it on your blog? Maybe just a chapter every so often? Please?! :)
Allison

Anne-girl said...

CONGRADULATIONS! Please post some excerpts your story sounds so amazing.

Miss Laurie of Old-Fashioned Charm said...

Congratulations on finishing your novel! That's so exciting!

I've passed along the Stylish Blogger Award to you. You can find out more at my blog: http://old-fashionedcharm.blogspot.com/2011/12/stylish-blogger-award.html

Katie S. said...

Congratulations, congratulations! That word-count is nothing, nothing to sneeze at. ^.^