Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Wednesday: Trivia Quiz


 
How much do you really know about Jane Austen's first published novel?  Take this facts quiz to find out!

Notes: All questions are based on the book, not the film adaptations, unless I specifically mention it.  Since there are so many Very Clever People out there I have tried to make this quiz pretty hard.  If you can't answer one question, just go on to the next.  Comment with your answers and I'll comment back with your scores.  I've made the quiz pretty long, so if you don't have enough time or space to put your answers in one comment you can send them in installments.

Now on to the interesting part!

1: What was the name of Elinor and Marianne's father?
a: James
b: Henry
c: John
d: George

2: The home that the Dashwood's father and later their step-brother inherited was called ____ Park?
a: Norland
b: Walnut Grove
c: Dashwood
d: Delaford

3: Elinor about Edward: I cannot deny that I think very highly of him - that I greatly ___ - that I ___ him.
a: admire, love
b: regard, like
c: esteem, like
d: value, respect

4: What is Colonel Brandon's first name?
a: Albert
b: George
c: Christopher
d: It doesn't say

5: How old is Margaret?
a: ten
b: eleven
c: thirteen
d: It doesn't say

6: Barton Park and Cottage is in....?
a: Devonshire
b: Somersetshire
c: Sussex
d: Oxfordshire

7: What is Mrs Dashwood and the girls' combined income?
a: 1000 a year
b: 100 pounds each
c: 500 pounds a year
d: I doesn't say

8: Which two things does Mrs. Palmer say about her husband's ill-humor, neglect, and rudeness?
a: I must say, I do not understand Mr. Palmer at all!
b: Mr. Palmer is so droll!
c: He wants to be superior in ill-humor to other people.
d: I am excessively diverted!
e: Mr. Palmer is just the kind of man I like.

9: Which character said the quote: "This is admiration of a very particular kind!"
a: Elinor
b: Mrs. Jennings
c: Marianne
d: Sir John Middleton

10: Who do Elinor and Marianne go to London with?
a: their mother
b: Lady Middleton
c: Fanny Dashwood
d: Mrs. Jennings

11: What is the name of John and Fanny's little boy?
a: Harry
b: Georgie
c: William
d: John

12: How many notes did Marianne write to Willoughby in London?
a: too many to count
b: three
c: two
d: it doesn't say

13: The girl that Marianne reminded Colonel Brandon was...... (choose all that apply)
a: his sister
b: his wife
c: his sister-in-law
d: named Eliza
e: a near relative
f: named Catherine

14: Willoughby rode from London to Cleveland because...... (choose all that apply)
a: He wanted to take revenge on Colonel Brandon
b: He wanted to talk to Marianne
c: He had been told that Marianne was dying
d: He wanted to explain himself

15: Why did Edward not break his engagement to Lucy?
a: because he didn't love her
b: because he wanted to annoy Mrs. Ferrars
c: because it would be dishonorable
d: because he loved her

16:  What was Elinor's reaction when she heard that Edward was free from Lucy?
a: She ran out of the room and burst into tears of joy
b: she tried to talk, but couldn't
c: she jumped up and hugged Edward
d: she sat down in amazement

17: With what feelings did Marianne accept Colonel Brandon?
a: deep love
b: esteem and friendship
c: total indifference
d: passionate feeling

Have fun! 

Blessings,

25 comments:

Miss Laurie of Old-Fashioned Charm said...

Yay! I love trivia! :)

1: What was the name of Elinor and Marianne's father?
b: Henry

2: The home that the Dashwood's father and later their step-brother inherited was called ____ Park?
a: Norland

3: Elinor about Edward: I cannot deny that I think very highly of him - that I greatly ___ - that I ___ him.
c: esteem, like

4: What is Colonel Brandon's first name?
d: It doesn't say

5: How old is Margaret?
b: eleven

6: Barton Park and Cottage is in....?
a: Devonshire

7: What is Mrs Dashwood and the girls' combined income?
c: 500 pounds a year

8: Which two things does Mrs. Palmer say about her husband's ill-humor, neglect, and rudeness?
a: I must say, I do not understand Mr. Palmer at all!
b: Mr. Palmer is so droll!

9: Which character said the quote: "This is admiration of a very particular kind!"
b: Mrs. Jennings

10: Who do Elinor and Marianne go to London with?
d: Mrs. Jennings

11: What is the name of John and Fanny's little boy?
a: Harry

12: How many notes did Marianne write to Willoughby in London?
b: three

13: The girl that Marianne reminded Colonel Brandon was...... (choose all that apply)
c: his sister-in-law
d: named Eliza

14: Willoughby rode from London to Cleveland because...... (choose all that apply)
b: He wanted to talk to Marianne
c: He had been told that Marianne was dying
d: He wanted to explain himself

15: Why did Edward not break his engagement to Lucy?
c: because it would be dishonorable

16: What was Elinor's reaction when she heard that Edward was free from Lucy?
a: She ran out of the room and burst into tears of joy

17: With what feelings did Marianne accept Colonel Brandon?
d: passionate feeling


The last question stumped me quite a bit. So I just guessed and I'll have to go right off and read the ending again! :)

Miss Laurie of Old-Fashioned Charm said...

How lovely! I do so enjoy trivia and especially Jane Austen trivia! So much fun! :)

Miss Dashwood said...

I'm in the middle of rereading the novel right now--my perception of the story has been greatly influenced by the movie. So I'm not at all sure I've got all these answers right, but it never hurts to try!

1. Henry (b)
2. Norland (a)
3. esteem, like (c)
4. It doesn't say (d)
5. thirteen (c)
6. Devonshire (a)
7. 500 pounds a year (c)
8. Not at all sure about this one! I'm gonna go with "Mr. Palmer is so droll" (b)
9. Elinor, I think (a)
10. Mrs. Jennings (d)
11. Harry (a)
12. it doesn't say (d)
13. named Eliza (d)
14. He had been told Marianne was dying (c)
15. because it would be dishonorable and that's why I like him!!! (c)
16. She tried to talk but couldn't, I'm pretty sure (b)
17. deep love (a)

That was fun! Thank you for posting!

Miss Elizabeth Bennet said...

1) B. Henry
2) A. Norland
3) C. Esteem, Like
4) D. Doesn't say
5) C. Thirteen
6) A. Devonshire
7) C. 500 Pounds a year?
8) A. I must say, I do not understand Mr. Plamer at all! and B. Mr. Palmer is so droll!
9) I'm going to guess D. Mrs. Jennings
10) D. Mrs. Jennings
11) A. Harry
12) B. Three
13) C. His Sister-in-Law, D. Named Eliza. For some reason, I also want to say E. a near relative, but I'm not entirely sure about that...
14) C. He had been told that Marianne was dying, D. He wanted to explain himself
15) C. Because it would be dishonorable
16) A. She ran out of the room and burst into tears of joy
17) oooh! Tough one! I'm going to say B. esteem and friendship because I think she came to love him more during the marriage.

This was very fun!

Melody said...

Okay, I'll try my best to be one of the Very Clever People. ;-) An any case this will be fun...I love JA trivia!

1. Henry

2. Norland
(Haha! Walnut Grove! That made me laugh.)

3. c

4. d

5. c (The people who only know the 1995 movie are in trouble for 4 & 5! ha ha)

6. a, I think

7. a, I hope

8. e (If this is correct I think it was 'just the kind of man..')

9. b (guessing)

10. d

11. d

12. b

13. c, d

14. c, d

15. c
(B made me laugh)

16. a
(Haha, C might have been Marianne's reaction :P)

17. a

All done! =) It was fun.

OldFashionGirl said...

Thanks for everything! I am blogging away!

Anne-girl said...

Most of these I'm not at all sure about but here goes!

1)c.
2)a.
3)c.
4)d.
5)b.
6)c
7)c
8)b
9)a
10)d
11)?
12)b
13)c,d,e
14)b,d,c
15)c
16)d
17)b

Maria Elisabeth said...

Miss Elizabeth Bennet
You got all of them right except for question 9 and one of your answers in question 8. (The other one was right.) Great job!

Maria Elisabeth said...

Miss Dashwood
The ones you got wrong were 12, 16, 17,(I would have had trouble with this one too. For a long time I was firmly convinced that it was the answer you gave, but if you see the last chapter you'll find out it isn't.) The answers you gave for 8 and 14 were right, but both have another answer, and 13 has two more. Feel free to guess again and thanks for playing!

Maria Elisabeth said...

Miss Laurie
You got all of them right except for 5, 9, 17, and one of the answers in 8 (this seems to be a common mistake). Feel free to do them over. Also, there was one more correct answer in 13. Thanks for playing!

Lauren said...

1. b
2. a
3. c
4. c
5. a? I can't remember!
6. a
7. c
8. b and c
9. b
10. d
11. a
12. d
13. c, d
14. b, c, d
15. c
16. d
17. a
That was fun! Thanks!
-Lauren:)

Melody said...

Oh dear! On question 8, what TWO things! I didn't see that. Okay...

8. b, e

Krista M.V. said...

Hi! I found your blog through a friend's. My name is Krista Voorhees and I am also a homescooler! :) This looks like fun; I absolutely love Sense and Sensibility!

Here are my answers.

1: I’ll just guess… A. James
2: C. Dashwood Park
3: c. esteem, like
4: c. Christopher
5: c. thirteen?
8: b. Mr. Palmer is so droll!
9: d. Sir John Middleton?
10: d. Mrs. Jennings
11: a. Harry
12. a. too many to count
13. d. named Eliza
14. c. He had been told that Marianne was dying
15: c.
16: b.
17. d.

Maria Elisabeth said...

The Anne-girl
The ones you got wrong were 1,5,6,9,16, and you missed one answer on 8 and added a wrong one on 14. The other eight ones you got were right. Thanks for doing it.

Maria Elisabeth said...

Melody
You got 7, 11, and 17 wrong, and missed one extra answer on 8 and 13. All the other ones were right. Thanks for doing this!

Maria Elisabeth said...

Melody
I just read your new comment and the extra answer to 8 was correct.

Maria Elisabeth said...

Lauren
You got most of them right, however, 4, 5, 9, 12, 16, 17 were wrong, and there was one more correct answer in both 8 and 14 that you skipped, and one of your answers in 14 was wrong. Feel free to re-answer and thanks for playing!

Maria Elisabeth said...

Krista M.V.
You got 1,2,4,9,12,16,17 wrong, and skipped 7, an extra answer to 8 and 17, and two extra answers to 13. Thanks for playing and feel free to re-try the ones you didn't get!

Maria Elisabeth said...

All of you
*smiles* I have began to find a few patterns in what you all did and didn't get wrong. Beware of trusting the film adaptations! ;P

If you haven't tried yet, please do!

In His Wings said...

1.C
2.A
3.C
4.D
5.A
6.A
7.C
8.B
9.B
10.D
11.A
12.D
13.C,D,E
14.B,C,D
15.C
16.D
17.A

I am truly enjoying your Sense & Sensibility Week. You are doing a wonderful job.

God bless,
Sarah Grace

Melody said...

I'm a little confused about 13 and it will be interesting to see what you're thinking in the end! She could be considered his sister and/or a near relative since they were raised together. I can't remember them actually being related, but then maybe I just don't remember. :P

Maria Elisabeth said...

Melody,
You'll see, at the end. It actually makes sense, since Colonel Brandon said it. :P
Your guesses for question 8 were right.

Maria Elisabeth said...

Sarah Grace
10 of your answers were right. The ones you didn't get right were 1, 5, 9, 12, an extra incorrect answers on 14, 16, and 17, and you only answered one of the two for question 8. Thanks for playing!

Miss Dashwood said...

I am exerting great strength of willpower and NOT opening my copy of S&S to look up answers.
Okay, so here are my second guesses.
8. Probably c.
12. D. Or did I say that already? I can't remember.
13. Okay, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the other answers are c and e. Because if she was indeed his sister-in-law, that would make her a near relative. Hmmm.
14. I think Willoughby also wanted to explain himself to Elinor, so I'll say d.
When will you post the answers?

Maria Elisabeth said...

Miss Dashwood

Good for you for not opening the book! Your extra answer for 8 is wrong (everybody seems to have trouble with it) and you said the same answer twice for 12. Other than that, you got them all right, and I'll post the answers on Saturday!