Friday, October 21, 2011

Who do you write like?

I heard about this cool site and I had to try it.  I put in a few paragraphs of my Jane Austen fanfiction novel and apparently I write like Charles Dickens.  (But it was supposed to say Jane Austen.  Come on, I wasn't writing Charles Dickens fanfic.)


I write like
Charles Dickens
I Write Like by Mémoires, journal software. Analyze your writing!

Then, to see what they would say to some of Jane Austen's real writing, I put in some from The History of England and apparently she writes like William Shakespeare!


I write like
William Shakespeare
I Write Like by Mémoires, journal software. Analyze your writing!

But I had to try again with another part of my novel, to see if I could be said to write more like Jane Austen that Jane herself.  And I did. 


I write like
Jane Austen
I Write Like by Mémoires, journal software. Analyze your writing!

Strange, isn't it?

5 comments:

Abby said...

What strange results! I had a go and it turns out I write like Oscar Wilde...which I'll take as a good thing, despite never having read anything by him! I do love quotes by him though :)

Aha, I love how your Jane Austen fan fiction ended up as Charles Dickens :') That made me laugh! And how Jane doesn't apparently write like herself...very odd!

I think what we can learn from this is that while this site is good fun, it's not wholly accurate! Haha :') Thanks for sharing this!

~Abby

Rachel said...

Oh mercy on us! I put in several excerpts from two of my novels...the whole first novel (4 different excerpts) I was Chuck Palahniuk [whoever *he* is] and the second book [3 different excerpts] I was Stephen King...and my writing isn't scary at all?! What's up with this! I want Charles Dickens or Jane Austen, pretty please! :D

Melody said...

Fun! I tried 3 different things...the first was a short story I began just for fun (and wrote in first person) but abandoned very soon. My result was Jane Austen. (Hooray!) The second was from one of my books...I got James Joyce, whoever that is... Then my third was from a short story I set in Jane Austen's era, and I got her again. =D

Then I put in some paragraphs from Pride and Prejudice, and the result was Jane Austen (thank goodness!) I think I might try some other JA novels...

Jemimah C. said...

I love that site! I went there before and placed some paragraphs and sentences I wrote. For all I remember, I did get William Shakespeare and Jane Austen. I find it annoying, though, that whenever I write about God, my results say Dan Brown. But it's fun and interesting to see which authors one writes like.

Melody said...

It says Charlotte Bronte writes like Edgar Allan Poe. ha ha ha