Friday, October 7, 2011

A daily dose of fun - The History of England

'The History of England.'  Doesn't that sound rather boring and not at all humorous - filled with dull facts and useless unbiased-ness?

Well, this is Jane Austen's take on it: 

(about Henry VI)
I cannot say much for this Monarch's sense. Nor would I if I could, for he was a Lancastrian. I suppose you know all about the Wars between him and the Duke of York who was of the right side; if you do not, you had better read some other History, for I shall not be very diffuse in this, meaning by it only to vent my spleen AGAINST, and shew my Hatred TO all those people whose parties or principles do not suit with mine, and not to give information. 


(About Henry VIII)
Tho' I do not profess giving many dates, yet as I think it proper to give some and shall of course make choice of those which it is most necessary for the Reader to know, I think it right to inform him that her [Anne Boleyn's]  letter to the King was dated on the 6th of May. The Crimes and Cruelties of this Prince, were too numerous to be mentioned, (as this history I trust has fully shown;) and nothing can be said in his vindication, but that his abolishing Religious Houses and leaving them to the ruinous depredations of time has been of infinite use to the landscape of England in general, which probably was a principal motive for his doing it..............

(about Mary, Queen of Scots)
.........allowing Elizabeth to bring this amiable Woman [Mary, Queen of Scots] to an untimely, unmerited, and scandalous Death. Can any one if he reflects but for a moment on this blot, this everlasting blot upon their understanding and their Character, allow any praise to Lord Burleigh or Sir Francis Walsingham? Oh! what must this bewitching Princess whose only freind (sic) was then the Duke of Norfolk, and whose only ones now Mr Whitaker, Mrs Lefroy, Mrs Knight and myself.............

Blessings,

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I love history!! The Tudors are a particular favorite time of mine! :) This was very humorous. Thank you for sharing!