Thursday, September 29, 2011

How Henry Tilney would wrap up his parcels :D

I found this quote in the introduction to the World's Classics edition of Northanger Abbey.  Isn't it funny how people's characteristics can be shown just in how they wrap parcels?

Sylvia Townsend Warner to George Plank, 1961
"You have the nicest hand with a parcel.  I can't think of anyone to match you in parcelling except perhaps Henry Tilney, to whom I attribute all the graces.  Mr. Knightley's parcel's would never come undone, true; but think of all the paper and string involved.  Elinor had to do up all Edward's: Edward required a great deal of buttoning and unbuttoning; though she enjoyed his dependence on her: the butler did all Marianne's & Colonel Brandon's.  Mr. Darcy did exactly three parcels a year, for Lizzy's birthday, for New Year's day, & for their wedding anniversary.  The product was excellent, but he took hours to achieve it.  And locked the library door.
(The Letters of Sylvia Townsend Warner, London, 1982)

It's a pity she didn't say anything about Captain Wentworth and Edmund Bertram, but I think I can fill in those holes: the dear Captain was too busy at sea, and never sent any parcels, and Edmund never had any practice, because Aunt Norris always made Fanny do it before he had a chance.

And yes, Henry Tilney would have the nicest hand with a parcel, but I'd be careful if I got one from him, because I'd always expect the memoirs of the wretched Matilda to fall out as soon as I opened it!

Blessings,

Note: All  I know of Sylvia Townsend Warner is this quote.  I do not in any way endorse her or her books.

5 comments:

Melody said...

Love your last little comment there...=)

Abby said...

Ooh, this made me laugh! I love the idea of Mr Darcy spending hours trying to wrap a present perfectly :') And yes, I agree Mr Tilney's would be the best! It's exactly what you'd expect considering his knowledge of muslins ;)

~Abby

janice15 said...

MISS GEORGIANA I HAVE FOUND YOUR PAGE TODAY, I'M EVER SO PLEASE IT'S JUST WONDERFUL TO SIT WITH A CUP OF TEA AND READ. THANK YOU PLEASE COME TO VISIT ME @ SPOONWITHER.BLOGSPOT.COM. I WOULD INDEED LOVE TO HAVE ANOTHER FOLLOWER AND MAYBE YOU WILL SPEAK AS MANY OTHER'S READ AND DON'T SAY A WORD..GOOD DAY WITH LOVE JANICE

Miss Dashwood said...

Ha! This made me laugh out loud! I have to disagree with the part about Colonel Brandon though... I think he would wrap all his own parcels, quite carefully but efficiently, wasting no string or paper, (maybe he'd wrap them in flannel!) and with something perfectly delightful inside.

Carolyn said...

I loved this! Absolutely loved this. I greatly enjoy reading your blog! This is my first visit but I am looking forward to being most excessively diverted in my future visits.

In His love,with no moderation,
Carolyn