Saturday, September 24, 2011

Emma: So, what's best?

Now that you've heard what I think of the three most recent Emma movies, it's your turn to put in your thoughts.

What is your favorite version of 'Emma'?
Just to refresh your thoughts, in case you've watched some of them but forgotten, here are my three reviews.

Emma 1996 starring Kate Beckinsale and Mark Strong
Emma 1997 starring Gwyneth Paltrow and Jeremy Northam
Emma 2009 starring Romola Garai and Jonny Lee Miller
And, just for the sake of doing everything, the poll also includes Emma 1972, starring Doran Godwin and John Carson.  The link goes to Melody's comparion post about all the Emmas, since I don't know of any individual review.

And, in case you didn't like a certain version overall, but really enjoyed the leads, there are two more polls.

Who's your favorite Emma?
Doran Godwin
Kate Beckinsale
Gywneth Paltrow
Romola Garai

Who's your favorite Mr. Knightley?
John Carson
Mark Stron
Jeremy Northam
Jonny Lee Miller

I look forward to your answers!

Blessings,

5 comments:

Miss Elizabeth Bennet said...

My favorite version of Emma is the 2009 BBC version. I like how they take four hours to develop the story fully. The other versions of Emma felt a little rushed. Saying that, my favorite Emma Woodhouse if Romola Garai and my favorite Mr. Knightley is Johnny Lee Miller (though I also like Jeremy Northam's Mr. Knightley).

Great post! Are you going to do more posts like this for Jane Austen's other books?

Naomi said...

Haven't a clue what this movie is... :)

Melody said...

2009, Romola Garai, and Jonny Lee Miller. Yep, 2009 all the way. ;-)

If you asked about Jane Fairfax, I'd say the one from the A&E version. That's the only or almost only exception.

However, if you would have asked that before the new one came out, I would say my favorite version was the A&E one, favorite Emma was Kate Beckinsale, and favorite Mr. Knightley was Jeremy Northam. Yep, different combo. ;-)

What did YOU vote for?

Jemimah C. said...

I am a complete and avid fan of Emma 2009, which I voted for. It's the only rendition of Austen's book, Emma, that I've seen, but it's so far the best and I have no plans of seeing the other versions. Romola Garai is the perfect Emma as Johnny Miller is Mr. Knightley.

Thank you for following my blog, by the way! Your blog is fantastic!

Polly Goodwin said...

I thoroughly enjoyed all three, but the 2009 was best. Still, I admit to watching Kate Beckensale's Emma many times without complaint. Each version has something to add. When I saw Gweneth Paltrow's version, I had not yet read the book It was a fun film to watch, but good thing I saw it first.