Thursday, August 11, 2011

Jane Austen Week Questions: Part 1



Jane Austen Week by Elegance of Fashion

I know I'm a little late; I should have done part 1 earlier, but here it is.

1: What is your favorite thing about Jane Austen? Why?
Her characters are so relevant ....... they almost seem to 'personify personality.' They are all complete and consistent. She has villains that you can't help loving, and heroines that you almost lose your temper with. And the plots are all well worked out, complex, interesting......... I'm amazed at the variety of plots she managed to think up. I tried to make a novel set in regency times, but I couldn't think of a plot; I just ended up reusing bits and pieces of Jane Austen's plots.

2: What are your top three Jane Austen novels and why?
Pride and Prejudice


Fascinating plot, humorous, sympathetic, memorable characters, a timeless love story, this book never ceases to attract. And how could you not love a book that have Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy in it?

Emma

 Emma just pulls you in, whether you like it or not.  The clever, beautiful Emma, the gentlemanly, brotherly Mr. Knightley, the elegant Jane, the likeable Frank, (hope I haven't shocked you too much; more on that in another post.) the good, but funny Miss Bates, and a host of other characters are altogether weaved into a work of genius.  And there are such quotable quotes!
Northanger Abbey

I must admit, Northanger Abbey is a recent favorite.  I reread it earlier this summer and realized how much I had almost ignored.  'Delightful' is the perfect word to call it.  And Henry Tilney is sooooo humorous and intruiguing, and the naive Catherine is so sweet.  If Northanger Abbey isn't on the list of your favorites, perhaps you should reread it.

3: Who are your top three Jane Austen heroines and why?
Elizabeth Bennet 
Possessing the perfect mixture of 'archness and sweetness', beautiful, with a lively mind who 'loves to laugh.'

Emma Woodhouse


Even when Emma drives you crazy, you can't help loving her.  She means so well, and......... well, I guess, I'll just have to say that if you don't love Emma yourself  you won't understand the people who do. 

Catherine Morland

Catherine is sweet, naive, and so easy to relate to!  I couldn't choose between Catherine and Marianne, so I'll stretch the rules a bit and put both in.

Marianne Dashwood

I love Marianne.  She's so sweet and romantic. Her romantic ideas were a bit overblown, but she learned from her mistakes and ended up being happy with Colonel Brandon.

4: Who are your top three Jane Austen heroes and why?
Mr. Knightley
He's mature, generous, the perfect gentleman, and he is brave enough to tell the woman he loves when she's doing the wrong thing.  Plus, he was Jane Austen's favorite hero.

Mr. Darcy
He's such a sweet, protective brother to Georgiana.  He loves Elizabeth enough to go to great lengths to protect her family's reputation, and he takes her reproofs seriously to heart.  And face it: there ISN'T any Darcy without Colin Firth.

Henry Tilney
A delightful, witty, amusing, and gentlemanly young clergyman.  What could be better?

Love,
    
Note: True Friends banner from Old-Fashioned Charm, Emma Woodhouse banner from Elegance of Fashion, Mr. Knightley photo from google images; all other pictures and fan art are from fanpop.com


5 comments:

Charity U said...

How fun to read your answers! I enjoyed them. :)

Melody said...

I knew I would love your post. haha ;-)

Although, I do think there would be a Mr Darcy even if there wasn't a Colin Firth...but he did do a splendid job. :)

That's true about Emma...that if you don't love her you won't understand people who do! tehe ;-)

Looking forward to more!

OldFashionedCharm said...

Loved reading you answers and seeing my Emma - True Friends banner used in your post! I'm glad you like Northanger Abbey so much, it's my favorite!

~Miss Laurie :)

Miss Elizabeth Bennet said...

"He's such a sweet, protective brother to Georgiana. He loves Elizabeth enough to go to great lengths to protect her family's reputation, and he takes her reproofs seriously to heart. And face it: there ISN'T any Darcy without Colin Firth."

Would you mind if I quote you for the conclusion of Jane Austen Week?

Eva-Joy said...

You like all the books that are my favourites!