Thursday, July 28, 2011

Quotes

Here are a few quotes that I wanted to post.  Not all of them are nice. ;)

"I would challenge you to a battle of wits but I see you are unarmed." - William Shakespeare

"Mr. Elton, your sermon on Daniel in the Lions Den - so powerful, so inspiring.....It left us speechless and we have not stopped talking of it since." Miss Bates, Emma  

"I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal." - Jane Austen

"The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." - Henry Tilney, Northanger Abbey

"What would become of us had it pleased Providence to make the weather unchangeable?  Think of the state of destitution of the morning callers." - Sydney Smith

I have to remember this quote when I'm writing!
"........this is a very nice day, and we are taking a very nice walk, and you are two very nice young ladies. Oh! It is a very nice word indeed! It does for everything. Originally perhaps it was applied only to express neatness, propriety, delicacy, or refinement — people were nice in their dress, in their sentiments, or their choice. But now every commendation on every subject is comprised in that one word.” - Henry Tilney, Northanger Abbey

"It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain

Love,

2 comments:

Miss Elizabeth Bennet said...

Great quotes! I love the "nice" conversation from Northanger Abbey.

Rachel and Sarah said...

Ha! I adore quotes, and these are some of the best! :) *Love* the Shakespeare one and both of Henry Tilney's. :)